When to euthanize an aggressive dog?


exactly how do you understand when to euthanize an aggressive dog?

If you’re dealing with the decision of when to euthanize an aggressive dog, I am so sorry. I hope you discover peace with your decision.

Some dogs are truly dangerous to society. They have tried to bite or they have already bitten or attacked. They are capable of triggering serious injuries.

If you own or like one of these dogs, I want you to know:

It’s not your fault

You’re a great dog owner

You like your dog

Only you understand the right answer

People will be insensitive

Most people like animals, however they can likewise be incredibly unloving to one another.

Ever heard anyone state something like this:

“Blame the one on the other end of the leash.”

Or, “There are no poor dogs, only poor owners.”

These “no poor dogs, only poor owners” messages can be unpleasant to somebody who likes as well as cares for her dog however is dealing with serious canine aggression. Aggression in dogs can be triggered by a range of complex issues. A “bad owner” is just one possibility among many others. Labeling all aggressive dogs as dogs with “bad owners” is not going to assist people get the support they need.

Dangerous dogs

The problem of dangerous dogs as well as what to do about them is a tough topic for those of us in the animal world. (And I’m not necessarily referring to dangerous dogs in the legal sense, which is one more complex subject.) all of us want to believe we are capable of “fixing” these difficult dogs. sometimes we are capable. sometimes we are not.

When a dog owner is dealt with with the difficult option of whether or not to euthanize an aggressive dog, the rest of us are quick to judge. We believe we could’ve done “better” had that dog been ours. We would’ve been more patient. We would’ve spent more money on a much better trainer. We would’ve liked the dog more. provided him more time. We would never “give up.”

How arrogant. These attitudes are not helpful.

While I believe 90 percent or more of aggressive dogs can as well as should be rehabilitated, I believe we likewise requirement to admit when we are dealing with the other 10 percent.

We can’t repair them all

No amount of like or training or experience will repair every single dog. At least that is my belief.

While I support the motion to end the killing of healthy, adoptable dogs in U.S. shelters, dangerous dogs don’t in shape into that equation for me. Some aggressive dogs can be handled safely in the right homes, however other aggressive dogs are not adoptable. as well as some should be killed. That is my belief anyway. No dog of mine will ever come before the security of any type of human.

I have been on the getting end of a dog attack, as well as it is not pretty. I’m not stating this dog was in the 10 percent. I’m stating each owner needs to look at his or her own dog as well as make the very best option for his or her unique circumstances. I will never tell one more dog owner what to do.

Until I have had to make the difficult option on whether or not to euthanize a household dog – not to end his physical suffering, however to protect others from damage – I can’t potentially criticize others.

We all requirement to turn our judgments to empathy as well as be supportive:

“I’m sorry to hear of your situation. I desire I might help.”


“I’m so sorry to hear of your loss.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *